I’ve succumbed to the thing that’s doing the rounds on Facebook at the moment, and written 25 (supposedly) interesting facts about me. It took me forever to think of 25, I’m obviously not that interesting, so I thought I’d get some additional mileage out of it by posting it on here.
1. I’ve kissed a total of three women in my life, just to see what it was like. It was fine, softer than a man, but didn’t do a lot for me. I don’t know how many men I’ve kissed.
2. I’m technically a cockney, but Mummy raised me to speak properly so you wouldn’t know it.
3. I was mugged three times when I was growing up. I still feel afraid of people sometimes when I’m walking around, but I hide it.
4. I know how to knit and I enjoy cross-stitch.
5. I’m more interested in politics now than I ever used to be. I’m a capitalist, and I’m considering voting Conservative at the next general election. I don’t like it when people use labels or hackneyed phrases during a political discussion, like ‘nanny state’ or ‘she started a war to win an election’; I think it’s lazy and shows a lack of understanding of the topic.
6. I’m quieter than I’d like to be, especially in social situations or with people I don’t know. People often take this to mean I don’t like them. It doesn’t.
7. I hate being contradicted. I tend to think I’m right (I usually am), and don’t like it when someone disagrees with me.
8. I’m petty and will bear a grudge really, really badly. If I decide I don’t like someone it’s unlikely I’ll ever change my mind.
9. I like studying languages, especially new ones, and don’t like it if someone can speak something I can’t. I’ll often start a language but only learn a bit before I move onto another one though. I speak French and Italian well, and have at times studied Chinese, Russian, Japanese, Swedish, German and Spanish.
10. I’ve never taken an illegal drug. Although I’m sometime curious, I’m too stubborn to break a vow I made never to try them when I was about 14. My opinion is they’re illegal for a reason.
11. I came out to my Dad in front of an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. I wasn’t ready, and it was one of the hardest things I’ve done.
12. I was quite badly bitten by a dog when I was about 5, and still don’t trust dogs I don’t know. Its owners gave it away before the police could destroy it.
13. One of my best friends drowned when I was 6. I sometimes wonder what his life would have been like if he’d survived.
14. I enjoy watching You’ve Been Framed, even though I know it’s really low-brow.
15. I, rather sadly, view having a cup of tea as a bit of a treat.
16. I can be a bit smug and like to show off what I know. Number 9 is a prime example of this, I didn’t need to list all those when “I like studying new languages” would have done.
17. When I was little I wanted to be a chef when I grew up. I wanted an ‘A La Carte Kitchen’, one of those ones you push along, but was bought the (cheaper) Magic Glow Oven instead. Now, I probably only cook dinner about 3 times a year.
18. I would like a better build, but overall I’m fairly happy with my body and how I look. I wish I had better energy levels and a stronger immune system though, as I’m often ill and sometimes feel like a burden.
19. I’m not very spontaneous and have trouble making decisions in my personal life. I over-think things and could do with loosening up more. Saying that though, my cautious attitude has served me pretty well so far.
20. I like children, but don’t know if or when I’ll ever have any of my own. If I can be a really good uncle to someone else’s, that might be enough for me.
21. I really like to dance, even though I think it is out of character for me. I don’t see the point in going to a club if you’re not going to dance.
22. I’d love to write a novel, and then see it on the shelf when I go into a bookshop.
23. I feel like I have a very fortunate life and I’m grateful. There are very few things I’d want to change about where I am in life right now.
24. I sometimes worry about how much I drink, but not enough to change it.
25. I sometimes feel bad that I haven’t done something more challenging for my career. This is mostly due to people asking me why I haven’t done something more challenging for my career. I like my job though, I like that it doesn’t stress me out and that I can leave it at the office when I go home.